What is Scratch and Dent Insurance?
Our policy will ensure that scratches, dents and cosmetic damage are repaired by one of our nationwide network of approved repairers. Their mobile technology means that they can arrange to carry out the repair to your customer’s cars either at home or their place of work.
What do we cover?
The mobile technology means we can only cover repairs within the following parameters:
- Any Chip, Minor Dent, Scratched Area and/or Minor Scuff where the total damaged area is no larger than 30cm in diameter and 3mm in depth. In the case of multiple damages, the total size of the combined damaged area must also be no larger than 30cm in diameter and 3mm in depth.
- A dented area on the vehicle up to a maximum of 30cm in diameter and 3mm in depth, where the panel has not been ripped, perforated, torn or damaged the structure or alignment of the panel.
- A collection of scratches on the vehicle where the total area is up to a maximum of 30cm in length and 3mm in depth.
- A chipped area on the vehicle up to a maximum of 5mm in diameter and 1.5mm in depth.
- If the scratches and dents are bigger than this, then your customers may need to consider claiming on their motor policy.
Points to consider
Do you know how many cars suffer from scratches, dents, and scrapes each year?
The answer is tens of thousands. Research by Which? found that more than a third of drivers have had their car damaged while it was parked. The 3 most common areas to suffer damage were found to be car parks, including supermarkets, train stations and airports, followed by residential street parking and non-residential street parking. Additional research conducted by Skoda revealed that UK drivers spend £1.5bn repairing car park damage alone every year.
Depending on the type of damage and the vehicle it can cost between £100 to £300 including VAT. Your customers may want to claim on their comprehensive motor insurance policy for cosmetic damage to their car but that means they will have to pay the excess and it may also affect the renewal premium for next year.
To repair or not to repair cosmetic damage is a matter of choice of course. Customers may even decide they have the time and knowledge to repair minor scratches and dents. There is the aesthetic value of course especially if the car is relatively new and many of us want to keep it looking like new for as long as we can. Scratches and dents to your customers car can affect its value should they be looking to sell it – especially if they are left unrepaired. If your customers are one of the many thousands of people who lease a vehicle or have some form of contract hire or PCP agreement, then they could find themselves penalised for any scratches dents or cosmetic damage to the car.
We cannot cover any damage that was present when the policy starts.
Why choose Financial & Legal?
We have a nationwide network of specialists in scratch, dent cosmetic repair. They will arrange for repairs as soon as possible. We can usually tailor our policy limits and coverage to suit your customers’ needs.